Apple CarPlay has been around for almost 6 years now, back in 2014, launching with iOS 13, CarPlay reformed the car commercial experience, while doing away with the often sub-par software that was developed by car manufacturers, and substituting it with an interface operation by your iPhone device.
CarPlay makes it very easy for users of iPhone to gain access to apps like Maps, Phone, and Messages through the touchscreen dashboard display of their car, operating more like Android Auto does for users of Android.
CarPlay is an Apple standard that allows a head unit or a car radio to be a display as well as a controller for an iOS device and it is available on every iPhone model starting with iPhone 5 operating iOS 7.1 or later. Well, following the website of Apple, every main manufacturer of the vehicle is licensing CarPlay.
Vehicles not having CarPlay can have vehicle audio products from suppliers of the automotive aftermarket.
The CarPlay apps from Apple, as well as third-party developers, are refurbished so that they are very safe to make use of while driving. Most times these user interfaces are made easy, with smaller texts and minor icons to prevent you from concentrating on the road ahead of you.
Rather Siri is being used by a lot of CarPlay apps, for instance, to read out iMessages that are incoming and determine your reply.
Apps for Apple CarPlay
Some of the best carplay apps for apple include:
- Google Maps
- Apple Podcasts
- Apple Maps
- Apple Music
- Tuneln Radio and many more!
Just like other music apps, you can browse your playlists as well as several other music that are saved through the interface. Or you can just choose to make use of Siri to begin to play a genre or an album. Also, Spotify now hosts podcasts, so you can now take charge of everything in just one app.
Whatsapp is among the few third-party messaging apps that is available in CarPlay, while Telegram is another. When you launch the app, you can easily choose to listen to unread messages read audible or determine a new message.
Waze is a navigation app. However, it depends so much on crowd-sourced information to assist in warning you of traffic jams and incidents too, and also provide convenient alternate route.
If you really love audiobooks, then Audible service of Amazon is sure a great way to get in. One subscription enables you to download and to also keep a new bookl every month, and there are also a lot of categories to select from. Though, if you choose not to subscribe, you can equally purchase books personally. Though, this is not as economical
How to get Apple CarPlay in my Car
Here is how to get Apple CarPlay in your car:
- To set up Apple CarPlay in your car, the first thing to do is to start your car, making sure that the Siri is turned on.
- Then the next step to take is to connect your iPhone to your car. Below is how to connect your iPhone to your car:
- If your car allows for CarPlay with a USB cable, plug your iPhone in the USB port in your car. Though, the USB port might be marked with a smartphone icon or a CarPlay icon.
- But if your car allows wireless CarPlay, then press and hold down the voice-command button on the steering wheel. Ensure that your stereo is in wireless or Bluetooth mode.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay. Click on available cars, and choose your car. you can as well check your car manual for more information.